Friday, March 28, 2014

Friday Finish: My Disappearing 9 Patch

Another week gone, time is slipping away so very very fast.  I am quite happy with my quilt this week, although I didn't get many pictures of it.  It was a very hectic week and so things like taking pictures went to the back seat.

I made my disappearing 9 patch at the same time Sharla did hers. It was in a class we took at NCTC...hey Karen, Vickie & Donna!!!  The colors are not something I would normally choose, but I fell in love with them. The funny thing is when we were looking for fabric, I found Sharla's fabric for her and she found my fabric for me. I did the simple all over meander and yes I messed up a couple of times and crossed over lines.  I think I need to get more lights for the machine.  It isn't hard when the thread is a contrasting color, but I used Signature's Parchment which blended in so well that sometimes it is hard to see.


Here is a close up of the quilting. I still get more wonky curves than I want, but overall I'm getting better at avoiding those.  I will say my biggest problem is keeping it slow and steady.  I get in a groove and find myself going to fast.  But the machine beeps and lets me know when I am doing exceeding the speed limit.


Here is one showing more of the back.  This wonderful busy print really helps to hide any flaws. And yet it still looks great when it is washed and all crinkly.  I am very happy with this one, and I will probably use it on my bed for a while.  It is not quite a queen size, but close enough if I have a neutral coverlet below it.


Now for my funny pictures this week.  When I finished the binding I laid the quilt across the frame to get a picture of it for instagram and Hollywood rand up to pose next to it.  When I switched to my regular camera he laid down in front of it and looked like he was going to nap.


What you don't see in the above photo is behind the quilt is another napping baby dog.  Tucker was sacked out in his bed just sleeping away. He didn't move until I got up to leave the room.  I didn't realize my quilting was such hard work on the babies, but they seemed to be totally exhausted.













9 comments:

  1. I like your D9P - great color combo of black, white and yellow! I've made several of them. Now there's the disappearing pinwheel and the disappearing four patch with a twist to try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty quilt Shauna. And your quilting looks perfect! Love the doggie too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! I find I cross lines when I'm using a thread that blends too. Your quilting looks great. Thanks for linking with TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous colors. That yellow is so sunny and happy!

    Thanks so much for showing this off at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the colour combination is perfect! Really like the disappearing nine patch too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't recognise the pattern as a Disappearing Nine Patch until you mentioned it. Funny how different fabrics totally change the look of a pattern! I love how cheery the yellow looks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your D9P. I really love your color selection. I enjoy working with squares and rectangle-no pesky points, and your quilt has inspired me to think about how to create my next 9 patch quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun quilt! Love the colors on this one! :) You did a great job!

    Thank you for linking up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
    -Lindsey
    Fabric Frenzy Friday

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!! Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!!!!!