Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday Finish: Watkins Star Finished

Yeah I finished a quilt.  It seems like forever since I finished one, but it really hasn't been that long.  I just missed quilting so so much.  I will say I did still have a thread break on my machine but it was close to the end and I think I was pushing it, to get done.  Today I'm going to show you Watkins Star by Sew Incredibly Crazy.  It is all done, completely quilted and bound.  It turned out a little smaller than I thought it would.  I measured it before quilting and it was 50 1/2" x  50 1/2", after quilting it was 49 3/4" x 49 3/4 and after washing it was 48" x 48".  I had thought to put a couple of borders on it, but when I checked the backing fabric I only had just enough and I didn't want to go by more.


Did you notice I painted my chalk board.  I wanted something a little darker so I went with a grey.  I'm not sure I like it yet, but it is growing on me.  The sun was shining bright this morning, so it washed out some of the quilt, but I did an all over meander using Signature Pearl thread.  The thread matched the grey on the background wonderfully, and blended well with the other colors. I used the floral print for the background and binding.


I love a busy back, because it really hides any mistakes.  But I can say I don't think I made one single cross over on this baby.  I got close a couple of times, but no oopsies.  I plan on putting this quilt in my to donate pile...ok it will start my to donate pile.  I think it will make some little girl very happy.


I wanted to try and get a better shot, but I either had blaring sun or wind this morning, so these are about as good as they get.  I will say it was fun having a real finish. When I finished this Wednesday night, I took it in to show Sharla and Hollywood immediately laid on it.  It was a fight to get him off of it, so I'm thinking we have another quilt crazy dog.


All in all I'm very happy with the quilt.  It was super fun to put together, and I love that my HST look good on it.  If you want to check out the pattern you can find it HERE. I may make another one in a boys version to use up some of my fabric.

I also got started on a new test quilt for Cora's Quilts.  I can't show you the pattern yet, but it is really cool. I've picked out my fabrics and spent yesterday cutting it.  Yes I worked yesterday, but the great thing about my job, is if it slow my boss doesn't care how I keep myself busy.  So I cut 388 - 1" squares, yes you read that right, 1" squares.  I'm doing the crib size to hang on the wall behind my sewing machine.  I found some cute close pin like hangers that go up with the command strips.   I'm hoping they work, because they are cute.

Today I am linking up with  Let's Bee Social with Sew Fresh Quilts, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Link a Finish Friday @ Richard and Tanya Quilts, TGIFF...at Quilting Mod, Finish It Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts, Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt InfatuationFabric Frenzy Friday @ Fort Worth Fabric Studio and Weekend Link Party @ Patchouli Moon Studio.

17 comments:

  1. What a pretty quilt! Love the grey with the bright colors, and those stars and the backing and so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your color choices in this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A big congratulations to you on your finish! It is lovely and looks like it was fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely colors. The backing fabric is so pretty, and your stars look great. I agree that having a busy backing helps disguise any quilting errors, and after having just finished a quilt with a solid back I vowed to use something busier on my next one. Not that I ever make mistakes or anything.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree--some little girl will love this pretty quilt. Congratulations on the great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute finish. And oh my - that's a LOT of 1" blocks! I don't think I'd have the patience for that. It's safe to say that I'll never attempt a postage stamp quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1 inch squares??? Are you nuts? Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt finished out beautifully! And holy moly, 388 1" squares?!? Wow, I do look forward to seeing how that turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a beauty. I really like the colors with that pattern. The star is good. I'll be watching to see what you do with the cut fabric. Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a really sweet finish! Love the floral backing. Looking forward to seeing what you do with all those little squares!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilt, Shauna!
    Nice colours!

    Thank you for your nice comment in my blog!

    Maja

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quilt and love the quilting! What a cute zebra rotary cutter too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is sweet of you to donate such a lovely quilt. I'm anxious to see what becomes of the ample supply of 1" squares.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great finish, I love the quilt and the backing fabric you used.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always a fan of busy or large-scale floral fabrics on the back of quilts. This one is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a lovely finish!! The colours are so pretty.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pink and purple is such a classic "girl" combo. I think most little girls go through pink and purple phase, right?! And your backing is such a perfect a match for the front.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!! Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!!!!!